Assorted Historic Buildings and Sites in the American West
Sites in Churchill County Nevada
Stillwater School Building
School was established in the Stillwater, Nevada area in 1872. Classes were held in the original, now unknown, location until the new Stillwater School was built in 1918. The new building was constructed to the highest standards of the day. Classes 1-8 were taught in the three room schoolhouse until the last 8th grade class graduated on May 11, 1956. The school reportedly served approximately 40 students a year. After 1956, the school district consolidated and classes were held in Fallon some 20 miles away. The new district encompassed all of Churchill County, some 5000 square miles.
The Stillwater School Building has been maintained by Stillwater residents and used as a community facility although it is still owned by the school district. As it nears the century mark in 2018, it is in need of more help from the community.
Harmon School House
Harmon School is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
National Register #89000055
Kirn and Harmon Roads Fallon, Nevada
Built in 1915, the Harmon School is a ten acre, rural school located approximately six miles from the town of Fallon. The site incorporates a substantial, one-story, masonry school house, a modest, single story, frame teacherage and a single story, frame pumphouse. All three buildings are historically and functionally related and are considered contributing resources.
The Harmon School is significant as an intact example of an early twentieth century, rural school complex. Erected between 1915-16, the Harmon School served as the Elementary School for the Harmon District of Churchill County from its construction until county school consolidation in 1956.